Re: [CSS Intrinsic & Extrinsic Sizing] sizing of absolutely positioned elements

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 18:05:36 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
On 10/9/12 5:39 PM, Ojan Vafai wrote:
> I guess I still find the CSS2.1 language confusing: "the containing
> block is formed by the padding edge of the ancestor." That makes it
> sound like the containing block *is* the imaginary block formed by the
> padding edge of the ancestor.

There's an unfortunate tendency to use the term "containing block" to
refer interchangeably to "the rectangle defined as the containing block"
(which is not itself a block in any way; it's just a rectangle) and "the
element which was used when defining the containing block" (assuming
there was one at all; see initial containing block) and maybe a few
other things.

As defined, right now, the containing block is a rectangle.  The other
uses are just confused, to a greater or lesser extent.

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-sizing/#extrinsic-sizing is a great example
of this tendency.  I can't make heads or tails of what it's saying.
Especially for cases in which the containing block is the ICB.