Re: position: pointer

From: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 14:16:05 -0700
Cc: Jussi Kalliokoski <jussi.kalliokoski@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>

On Oct 8, 2012, at 1:50 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:
>> video {
>>  position: pointer;
>> }
>>
>> What should happen? Or
>>
>> html {
>>  position: pointer;
>> }
>
> I don't understand the point of your questions.  Both are extremely
> simple.  It's identical to setting "position:absolute" and setting
> top/left to the position of the pointer, assuming that their
> positioning roots are the ICB.

There's a difference between this and CSS cursors; CSS cursors can project outside of the window (though I suppose the UA usually resets the cursor when the mouse leaves the window, though I'm not sure if it's required to).

On the other hand, elements with position:pointer could not be rendered outside the viewport. It's really a different beast to a cursor.

Also:

div {
  position: pointer;
}

div:hover {
  position: static;
}

(though we have this issue with other properties too).

Simon