Re: User Agents Do Not Implement Absolute Length Units, Places Responsive Design in Jeopardy

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 14:15:41 +0200
To: "Dan B." <danb@kempt.net>
CC: www-style@w3.org
Le 04/10/2012 22:48, Dan B. a écrit :
> Felix Miata wrote:
>   > IOW, author/designers are_never_  in position to choose the
>> >optimal base sizing unit for anywhere but the displays they're viewing.
>> >
>> >What standards should be pushing for is for authors for the vast majority
>> >of pages to choose only proportions among object sizes without regard to
>> >absolute size, and for the users of the user agents to choose the
>> >appropriate base sizes for each's own environment. ...
>> >
>> >The dominant text size on virtually every page should be 1rem. Virtually
>> >everything that needs to be some other size should be sized as some multiple
>> >or fraction of that user-defined base size. Authors get to choose
>> >proportions. Users get to define the actual sizes that those proportions
>> >produce as displayed results, ....

Hi,

I haven’t followed the original thread so I don’t know what the original
question was, but isn’t this already the case? I think that all browsers
have some kind of zoom. The author decides of the proportions of various
elements in a document, and the user (can) use zoom to adapt these to
their device.

Having units such as 'px' and 'cm' and calling them "absolute" is a bit
misleading, but when you account for zoom they’re effectively relative.

Cheers,
--
Simon Sapin