Re: [css-variables] Which value is substituted?

Thanks, Tab, François, I think those answers comprehensively answer my
question. :o)

If I can hijack the thread a little: François, why did you pick the
specified value for 'use()'? The reason I started thinking about this was
the kinds of non-obvious circular references Tab mentioned in an older
thread.  For example
    line-height: 2em;
    font-size: use(line-height);
is a circular reference if 'use' produces the computed value; if it's
reversed, as in
    font-size: 2em;
    line-height: use(font-size);
then neither version is a circular reference, but using the specified value
produces lines twice as high as using the computed value.

So I'm not sure which is "correct" (if either) for 'use'; I'd be interested
to hear why you've gone in the direction you have.

Thanks,
Tom