Re: Text anti-aliasing on the Mac

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 13:07:17 -0700
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
More investigation into this issue has shown that the problem is
different than what I explained at the start of the page.  It's not
*really* about the AA.  However, a proprietary property we have
(-webkit-font-smoothing) which lets you switch between AA modes *also*
has the effect of turning hinting on or off.  Chrome 22 changed that,
so that it no longer had this side effect.

I'm still investigating the problem in more detail, but it seems like
the "dilation" of text that makes it look fat and bold is an intrinsic
property of the Mac's hinting engine.  That's why, back when
"-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased" turned off hinting, it solved
people's problem - the text now looked like it did on other platforms
(not fat).

roc, does your always-on text shaping mean that you do your own
hinting, rather than relying on the system to do it for you?  If so,
that would explain why Firefox hasn't had to deal with the issue - it
simply doesn't exist there!