RE: [cssom] draft of color serialization rules

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 00:51:36 +0000
To: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>, W3C Style <www-style@w3.org>
>I've drafted language describing color serialization rules at [1][2]. Please review and comment.

>[1] https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/csswg/rev/0d2a6c814dd1

>[2] http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/csswg/raw-file/tip/cssom/Overview.html#serializing-css-values

If the goal of defining a common serialization is to enable authors to write cross-browser OM
parsing code reliably, wouldn't it easier for them if the value was always returned as rgba(),
even when the alpha is 1? From an 'aesthetic' standpoint - e.g. what I want to see in browser
dev tools - the behavior you specified makes sense. It also saves a few bytes in the common
case. But for anyone consuming the value for parsing it's yet another step.