Re: [css3-transforms] Should the spec have a transform-origin-x/y

From: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 11:00:29 +0200
To: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>,Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>

Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

>On Sep 27, 2012, at 9:46 AM, "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:
>
>> Apparently WebKit implements transform-origin-x and
>transform-origin-y
>> properties.  Should these be in the spec, perhaps?
>
>They are frequently used. But so far no one had interests in
>implementing beside webkit. (According to various in person
>discussions.)
>
>I don't mind specifying them.

I think we should not specify and implement them. I acknowledge they they are useful, but like all -x and -y properties:

1) if we later decide we sometimes also want to declare things in terms of logical directions, we're stuck, as it isn't possible to simultaneously have a -start and -head. By keeping a single property, things like this stay possible:
transform-origin: start 13px head 10px;

2) users who want them can easily simulate then using varaibles:
* { transform-origin: var(x,0) var(y,0); }
#foo { var-x: 13px; var-y: 42px; }

- Florian