Re: [CSS-Variables] Suggestion of change to time of substitution

From: Tom Potts <karaken12@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 20:05:00 +0000
To: Fran├žois REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, CSS WG <www-style@w3.org>
Personally, I think this merits a change in the Cascading and
Inheritance<http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-cascade/> specification.
I think section 3 would need changing to something like

"""
The specified value is found by using the following pseudo-algorithm:
1. If the cascading process (described below) yields a winning declaration,
resolve any property references (see Custom Properties [CSS-VARIABLES]),
then
  a. if the resolved declaration is invalid {a link the the definition of
"invalid"}, proceed to step 2 as if no declaration had been made;
  b. otherwise, if the value of the resolved declaration is 'inherit', the
inherited value (see below) becomes the specified value;
  c. otherwise, if the value of the resolved declaration is 'initial', the
initial value (see below) becomes the specified value;
  d. otherwise the value of the resolved declaration becomes the specified
value.
2. If the cascading process yields no winning declaration, then
  a. if the property is inherited, the inherited value becomes the
specified value;
  b. otherwise, the initial value becomes the specified value.
"""

I think something like this is necessary: I don't think a change like this
can be made just in the CSS-CUSTOMS module. I guess there should be some
words somewhere to say what to do if the UA doesn't support custom
properties.