Re: Behavior of device-pixel-ratio under zoom

From: Rune Lillesveen <rune@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 10:07:43 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 02:12:57 +0100, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
wrote:

> On the other hand, for a browser zoom mechanism that effectively
> resizes the viewport, some media queries definitely should change in
> response to zoom (e.g., at a 2x zoom, height and width should be
> half what they are with a 1x zoom, so that the page layout correctly
> reflects the area available to it).  I don't have a strong use case
> for device-pixel-ratio here, but I tend to think it should probably
> match the other media queries absent strong reasons for the
> contrary.

Yes, I agree. I see zoom mechanisms that resize the viewport as a CSS
pixel scaling, hence affects dppx resolution and device-pixel-ratio
features, while a zoom mechanism that doesn't alter the layout (a
magnifying glass type of zoom) doesn't change the CSS pixel scaling seen
 from the author point of view.

--
Rune Lillesveen