Re: The perils of prefixing... or rather trying to unprefix

From: Sebastian Zartner <sebastianzartner@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 11:14:30 +0100
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>

>  E.g. the current Firefox versions don't offer a way to open the release
>> notes
>> anymore.
>>

> Which would have done absolutely no good in this case, yes?
>

>  So you can't see immediately what has changed.
>>

> Seriously?
>
> http://www.bing.com/search?q=**firefox+16+release+notes<http://www.bing.com/search?q=firefox+16+release+notes>
> https://www.google.com/search?**q=firefox+16+release+notes<https://www.google.com/search?q=firefox+16+release+notes>
>
> It's the first hit for both.

The first hit in Google is a link to the Mozilla wiki for me.

> Someone who actually wants to read the release notes (not most users),
> sure can.

Right. But it's a little harder as before and not directly available
through the browser anymore.

> You missed that I was speaking of a general strategy in releasing
>
>> changes like these.
>>

> A general strategy that would not help with the problem at hand, hence is
> irrelevant here....

You're right. So let's get back to the main discussion.

Fran├žois' remarks sound promising and would have helped in this case.
Though after all it's still up to the library authors to handle different
configurations correctly.

Sebastian