Re: The perils of prefixing... or rather trying to unprefix

On 11/6/12 11:28 AM, Sebastian Zartner wrote:
> I.e. the people who created the libraries expected "transform" never to
> get unprefixed. So it's their fault, no?

I'm not interested in assigning blame for the sake of assigning blame.
I'm interested in avoiding this situation in the future.  Assigning
blame is only useful insofar as it serves this goal.  In this case,
blaming the libraries doesn't really help, I believe.

>         Instead people should be better prepared for what's coming next
>
>     Yes, and we should all have puppies and Unicorns.
>
> I was serious about my statement, so please don't make fun of it.

I was serious too.

Me wishing that everyone on the planet would be ready for various things
is not going to make it so.  I think we should just accept that as a
premise, just like we accept the second law of thermodynamics, and move
on...

> E.g. the current Firefox versions don't offer a way to open the release notes
> anymore.

Which would have done absolutely no good in this case, yes?

> So you can't see immediately what has changed.

Seriously?

http://www.bing.com/search?q=firefox+16+release+notes
https://www.google.com/search?q=firefox+16+release+notes

It's the first hit for both.  Someone who actually wants to read the
release notes (not most users), sure can.

> You missed that I was speaking of a general strategy in releasing
> changes like these.

A general strategy that would not help with the problem at hand, hence
is irrelevant here....

> In this case you kept the prefixed properties
> together with the unprefixed ones. This should always be done, but
> wasn't done by Mozilla before for other previously prefixed properties.

I believe our policy is to keep support for the prefixed version for
some limited time alongside the unprefixed version, assuming the
prefixed version ever shipped in a final release.  Do you have any
examples of us not following the policy?  My initial searches are not
coming up with any.

-Boris