Fwd: Re: [css3-multicol/...] Pagination of (block) elements needed in CSS

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 14:15:08 +0100
To: ktf.kim@samsung.com
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "Cedric.Sodhi\@dlr.de" <Cedric.Sodhi@dlr.de>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Also sprach Kyung-Tae Kim:

 >    I have another question on that.
 >
 >    Is there horizontal pagination on CSS spec, or is there plan to add it?
 >
 >    Horizontal pagination means, when you see the paged media on screen,
 >    you can move to the next page with horizontal scrolling instead of
 >    vertical scrolling.

Yes, very important. In GCPM [1], you can say:

   body { overflow: paged-x }

Likewise, to achieve vertical pagination with:

   body { overflow: paged-y }

The choice of vertical vs. horizontal is not tied to writing
direction, it seems, so I'm not sure there are good auto values for
this. The 'paged-x' and 'paged-y' keywords have been easy to use in
the demo pages found here:

   http://people.opera.com/howcome/2011/reader

Note how the newspaper article paginate horizontally (when using the
Opera Reader build).

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-gcpm/#paged-presentations

-h&kon