Re: [css4-images] One color stop should now be allowed

On Nov 6, 2012, at 01:33, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Lea Verou <lea@w3.org> wrote:
>
> While I don't have anything particularly *against* such a thing (as
> you point out, it's trivial to handle), is there any good reason to do
> it?  A gradient with a single color isn't a gradient at all.

I pointed out all the reasons I could think of in the previous email. Consistency mainly.

> Why do you think it matches author expectations to allow a single
> color?  ("Because they told me so" is fine, though I'd like more
> detail about what confused them.)

Because when something works for N = 1, 2, 3, … you expect it to work for N = 1 as well and can get frustrated when it doesn’t.

> Allowing live editors to provide feedback as soon as possible is a
> decent reason (part of why CSS allows so much to be omitted in the
> first place), but before you add the second color, you don't even know
> what the gradient *looks* like.

You can see what your first color looks like, that's some feedback. I always hated it when I did this and I had to type two stops to see what I'm doing.