Re: -webkit-background-clip:text and -webkit-text-fill-color?

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Jared Wein <jwein@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has there been a proposal from the Webkit authors for -webkit-background-clip:text and -webkit-text-fill-color?
>
> I think properties like these could be useful in other engines.

-webkit-background-clip:text is the devil.  It's a very silly misuse
of background-clipping to accomplish a text fill.  I like this
functionality and think that we need it, but this particular
implementation of it is ridiculous.

-webkit-text-fill-color is, as far as I can tell, completely useless.
It does literally the exact same thing as 'color'.  I haven't looked
into our codebase to see what it actually accomplishes, but I think it
was just a cargo-cult addition from the SVG model to go along with
-webkit-text-stroke.

~TJ