Re: -webkit-background-clip:text and -webkit-text-fill-color?

01.06.2012, 00:53, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Jared Wein <jwein@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> šHas there been a proposal from the Webkit authors for -webkit-background-clip:text and -webkit-text-fill-color?
>>
>> šI think properties like these could be useful in other engines.
>
> -webkit-background-clip:text is the devil. šIt's a very silly misuse
> of background-clipping to accomplish a text fill. šI like this
> functionality and think that we need it, but this particular
> implementation of it is ridiculous.

Are any plans or drafts available for that currently?

> -webkit-text-fill-color is, as far as I can tell, completely useless.
> It does literally the exact same thing as 'color'. šI haven't looked
> into our codebase to see what it actually accomplishes, but I think it
> was just a cargo-cult addition from the SVG model to go along with
> -webkit-text-stroke.

AFAIK, `-webkit-text-fill-color` overrides standard `color`. This makes it possible to separately specify two different colors for browsers that do not support `-webkit-background-clip` (standard `color` property is used) and for browsers that do support it (`-webkit-text-fill-color` is used by browser instead of `color`) to keep text readable anyway.