RE: [css-variables] CSS Variables are a NEW kind of variable

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 02:04:21 +0000
To: Divya Manian <manian@adobe.com>, François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

[Divya Manian:]

> On 5/30/12 12:59 AM, "François REMY" <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> >
> >For instance, if I was responsible of the spec, I think I would have
> >renamed "variables" into "user-defined properties".
> >
> >I completely agree. I also would prefer something like "just use an
> >identifier".
> >
> >    :root { x-link-color: blue }
> >    a { color: x-link-color }
> >
> >If this is not possible to do, we shall need an introductory token,
> >which $ can be. However, even with "x-", the var() function should be
> >kept to provide a default (as second argument) for when the variable is
> >invalid.
>
> This is infinitely better than what has been proposed so far. I think
> defining them as user-defined property also makes a lot of sense. X-prefix
> would work for me too! I am not beholden to the $ sign.

Not to prove that everyone's preference is someone else's ugly but I can't
stand the x-convention. If we're going to have a prefix why not make it something
readable. For instance:

	:root { define-link-color: blue }
	a { color: $link-color }

...is imo a reasonable balance: terse at the point of use and very explicit at
the point of declaration since there should be many of the former for each of
the latter.