Re: [css-variables] CSS Variables are a NEW kind of variable

From: Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 06:37:46 -0400
To: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Cc: www-style@w3.org, Divya Manian <manian@adobe.com>
On May 30, 2012 4:04 AM, "François REMY" <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.com>

> For instance, if I was responsible of the spec, I think I would have
renamed "variables" into "user-defined properties"

I keep typing this in myself and then changing my mind about saying it that
way for fear of adding yet another vector for people to disagree...  but I
really do think that "var" might be adding confusion and a simple name
change might really help... In past threads Tab has likened them to HTML
data-* attributes and when you think of it like that, the assignment part
at least is totally plain.  If you merely mention the optional default arg,
I think the function too pretty much makes sense, though perhaps some sugar
for the simplest case is nice.