Re: [css-variables] CSS Variables are a NEW kind of variable

From: Thaddee Tyl <thaddee.tyl@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 16:54:43 -0700
To: Fran├žois REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Cc: Matthew Wilcox <mail@matthewwilcox.com>, www-style@w3.org
On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 6:57 AM, Fran├žois REMY
<fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> It's important to understand that CSS variables are inherited from the
> parents and are able to emulate some preprocessor-like variables: one
> variable can be defined at one place, the root of the document, and stay
> unoverriden everywhere else. The main use-cases of such globals are to allow
> alternate stylesheets to redefine constants instead of redefining a whole
> set of css declaration, and to promote the use of easily maintainable css
> code. Both are pretty important use cases.

It seems to me that there can be many acceptable scope systems.
Having variables be cross-CSS files seems far from logical to me.
As a result, I'm not sure anymore of what a global is.

Also, can we have a system to choose the scope in which a variable is?