Re: [css-variables] CSS Variables are a NEW kind of variable

Preprocessor variables are, as their name seems to indicate, replaced by
their value before the CSS engine comes into action. This is a valid use
case but this is limited to things that are not meant to change. CSS
variables, on the other hand, are expanded locally, at the time the
property' value is evaluated. This means that they are kept down the wires
up to some of the the highest levels of the CSS engine. This is likely to
have a memory cost that server-side preprocessors aren't subject to.

One difference between a preprocessor-like variable and a CSS one is that
the values of the CSS ones are not checked to be valid before getting used,
because variable's type is unknown at declaration time. There's no fallback
in case the browser don't support the value you used in your variable, it
won't use another property declaration (because variable is replaced by its
value after the matching phase). If we want to cover this scenario, we'll
need to introduce something new, like a fallback function (@supports is a
good solution, too). For instance, the default value function "var($x,
value-in-case-of-problem)" is an intended solution to that problem.

It's important to understand that CSS variables are inherited from the
parents and are able to emulate some preprocessor-like variables: one
variable can be defined at one place, the root of the document, and stay
unoverriden everywhere else. The main use-cases of such globals are to allow
alternate stylesheets to redefine constants instead of redefining a whole
set of css declaration, and to promote the use of easily maintainable css
code. Both are pretty important use cases.

However, CSS variables are also meant to serve as a communication channel
between a document and its components. The easiest way to understand that is
to remember that, while it's impossible for a language to implement a
solution for every problem a developer may encounter, it's possible for him
to provide tools that are generic enough to make it possible to develop the
solution by yourself.

HTML Components are just that: a way to create your own HTML building
blocks, like Custom Controls in dotNet or Widgets in Qt. In the document
markup, you use only one tag (ex: <input type="file" />, <progress>) but you
define in CSS a list of nodes that going to be created and displayed each
time such tag is encountered. Those nodes are in the Shadow DOM tree of your
tag and they are not subject to the styling of your main document.

However, you sometimes need to "give" information to your custom control
about how it's being used (what colors should it use, which display mode you
would like...). At this time, no mechanism enables that in CSS. CSS
variables will allow that. Your custom control' CSS can make use of the CSS
variables it inherited from its Shadow DOM container to adapt his own
styling. Scripts running inside those components can also read those
parameters and use them to tune the way the control will react. With
cascading CSS variables, you're able to extend the kinds of layout and
behavior that can be defined and controlled in CSS : for the first time, you
have the opportunity to extend CSS beyond the written-in-gold styling
operations. This one of the most important reasons of variable's cascading
(but I'm sure there are others, maybe Tab has already wrotten a summary
about that).

In fact, this is even working for non-custom controls :

    footer a { color: red; }
    header a { color: green; }
    article a { color: blue; }

can be rewritten into the more efficient (there's no composite selector) :

    a { color: $link-color; }
    footer { $link-color: red; }
    header { $link-color: green; }
    article { $link-color: blue; }

It makes it possible to reduce the complexity of certain selectors, by
storing certain things in memory. It also provides encapsulation, and we all
know encapsulation is (most of the time) a good thing.

Beside that, please note I don't say $foo is a BAD syntax for CSS variables.
In fact, it has several advantages. I would just like to make sure we've
taken in consideration the fact that it may hides the principles behind CSS
variables and the reasons of those principles. The CSS WG clearly needs to
better explain his decision and make sure the syntax it choose don't hurt
his goals. The choice of syntax is not completely orthogonal to the goals we
pursue, like it has been debated in the previous weeks.

It seems clear to me (but maybe not to everyone) that to go further we'll
need, in the future, to allow more and more operations on CSS variables like
:

    .fileListView::where(x-display-mode: list) {
    }

    .fileListView::where(x-display-mode: grid) {
    }

    .fileListView::where(x-display-mode: thumbnail) {
    }

While I want to make clear this is not going to happen in [css-variables]
level 1, I think this is where we are heading. But maybe I am wrong on this,
this is possible.

Okay, now, to crystalize my reasoning: my preference goes to a solution
where CSS variables look (the most possible) like traditional properties (on
which some additional operations can be performed because they are not
directly linked to layout, and are in a more raw state that browser-handled
properties). I find (but this is a personal opinion) that

    :root { x-foo: value; }
    abcd { property: x-foo; }

serves that "philosophy" better than the $foo syntax does.

This is clearly debatable, but if we debate it, it should not only be from a
"taste" perspective but also from a "goal" perspective and at the
"community-comprehension" level.