Re: [css-variables] Using $foo as the syntax for variables

From: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 10:58:22 +0200
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "Florian Rivoal" <florianr@opera.com>
Cc: "Ojan Vafai" <ojan@chromium.org>, <www-style@w3.org>
> From: Tab Atkins Jr.
>
> Okay, then we're debating personal taste.  Since I obliquely pointed
> to this thread in Twitter, I've received nearly a dozen people saying
> they're excited, and not a single negative voice (I'm sure they're out
> there, but I haven't heard them yet).  I also know that others within
> the WG are cool with this (some people mentioned this syntax when I
> first presented the modern draft at TPAC), so it's not even a "WG
> versus authors" divide.

It's easier to get voices to acclaim a change than to keep things the same.
Personnaly, I dislike the proposal to use the dollar sign for variables.
This is a PHP-only convention, and one of the reason I dislike coding in
PHP. I know many people who dislike to use $ for variables. Beside the fact
some poeple don't like it, this doesn't follow the established CSS
conventions.

Also, please keep in mind that we don't all have EN-US keyboards. On French
keyboards, typing $ is akward. One time over three, I endup typing a ^
instead. Having to type a $ hurts my typeflow.

BTW, if you want a more important reason not to change the CSS grammar to
allow the DOLLAR symbol, I have one:       html { $color: red; }      makes
the text color red in IE6 and IE7.