Re: [css-variables] Using $foo as the syntax for variables

On 5/25/2012 4:58 AM, François REMY wrote:
>> From: Tab Atkins Jr.
>>
>> Okay, then we're debating personal taste.  Since I obliquely pointed
>> to this thread in Twitter, I've received nearly a dozen people saying
>> they're excited, and not a single negative voice (I'm sure they're out
>> there, but I haven't heard them yet).  I also know that others within
>> the WG are cool with this (some people mentioned this syntax when I
>> first presented the modern draft at TPAC), so it's not even a "WG
>> versus authors" divide.
>
> It's easier to get voices to acclaim a change than to keep things the
> same. Personnaly, I dislike the proposal to use the dollar sign for
> variables. This is a PHP-only convention, and one of the reason I
> dislike coding in PHP. I know many people who dislike to use $ for
> variables. Beside the fact some poeple don't like it, this doesn't
> follow the established CSS conventions.

A more serious issue, IMHO, is that many templating systems use $foo for
variable substitution. If anyone wants to use CSS variables with a
templating system generating CSS files, this can cause issues.

--
Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth