Re: [css-variables] Maintain link between var declaration and use

From: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 13:48:29 +0200
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Cc: "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
From: Tab Atkins Jr.
> That gains us nothing, though.  I see no good reason to switch away
> from dashes unless we're going full-on to something that looks like a
> function.

+1, but with two remarks:

- Allowing function notation to property names can be useful to support
list-valued properties, even if it isn't the only option to do so.

    transform(zoom): scale(2);

- I don't think you're right to say that using plain var-keyword as a value
makes it impossible to add options like custom variable inheritance or
default values. If you also register all function starting with var- as a
prefix, I think you're okay. You just need a lookup for an opening
parenthese after the identifier.

    .a    {     var-xxx: value;     }

    .a    {     var-parent-xxx: var-inherit(var-xxx);     }

    .a    {     property: var-default(var-xxx, auto);     }