Re: [css3-multicol][etc.] Break properties should be media: visual?

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
> The break-before, break-after and break-inside properties are defined in a
> number of places, with different media groups applied.
>
> CSS 2.1 13.3.1 [1]
> Multicol 5.1 [2]
> Fragmentation 3.1 [3]
> Regions 3.3 [4]
>
> In 2.1 they are Media: visual, paged
> In Multicol they are Media: paged
> In Fragmentation and Regions, they are Media: visual
>
> I am not entirely clear on how the Media groups work (does "visual, paged"
> restrict the property to media that is both visual and paged, or allow
> either visual or paged?) but I can tell that there should be some
> consistency applied. I conformed to the Fragmentation spec since it's the
> newest and with column and region values the properties should not be
> restricted to paged environments only. Should multicol follow suit, or is
> there a more appropriate combination we should all use?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/page.html#page-breaks
> [2] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-multicol/#column-breaks
> [3] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-break/#break-properties
> [4] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-regions/#region-flow-break

I honestly have no idea what the Media line does anyway; I suspect
that, like the Applies To line, it's just a bit of advisory
information about where the property is expected to be used.

Anyway, assuming that "visual" doesn't exclude "paged", the break
properties should be "visual".

~TJ