[css3-multicol][etc.] Break properties should be media: visual?

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 06:53:29 -0700
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
The break-before, break-after and break-inside properties are defined in a number of places, with different media groups applied.

CSS 2.1 13.3.1 [1]
Multicol 5.1 [2]
Fragmentation 3.1 [3]
Regions 3.3 [4]

In 2.1 they are Media: visual, paged
In Multicol they are Media: paged
In Fragmentation and Regions, they are Media: visual

I am not entirely clear on how the Media groups work (does "visual, paged" restrict the property to media that is both visual and paged, or allow either visual or paged?) but I can tell that there should be some consistency applied. I conformed to the Fragmentation spec since it's the newest and with column and region values the properties should not be restricted to paged environments only. Should multicol follow suit, or is there a more appropriate combination we should all use?

Thanks,

Alan

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/page.html#page-breaks
[2] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-multicol/#column-breaks