Re: [css3-flexbox] cross-size of flexbox lines

Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com> writes:

> [...]

Yes. What I wrote was with the assumption that a nowrap line no longer
had to fit the cross size of the flexbox perfectly (the new ED is moving
in that direction).

> I would prefer to keep nowrap behavior as is and add a special case to
> line sizing in wrap case.

If by "as it is" you mean "as it was until about a week ago", then, yes,
me too. I liked it the way it was. Sounds like usecase #1 for
flexboxes. 87% of the authors probably won't care about lines at all.

> For lines, negative shrinking would mean that content will overlap
> across lines and I can't think of any situation when it would be
> desirable...

Maybe not. But that's what we used to have for nowrap flexboxes,
actually (well, apart from the fact that then it was single-line, so
there'd be no overlap across lines). A nowrap line used to get its
line's cross size equal to that of the flexbox. If line content (item
cross size) was larger than the flexbox cross size, line content would
overlap, if not with other lines (there would be no other lines, so no),
at least with siblings, parents and uncles of the flexbox.

The current working draft (2012-03-22) still has this (the ED
doesn't). In the layout algorithm:

    7. Calculate the cross size of each flexbox line. For each flexbox
    line:

       1. If the flexbox is single-line and has a definite cross size,
       the single flexbox line's cross size is the cross size of the
       flexbox's content box. End this step of the algorithm.

But if we instead just revert the recent changes and say that nowrap
flexboxes stretch or shrink to fit the cross size of the flexbox, like
before, we can end this discussion. :)

--
---- Morten Stenshorne, developer, Opera Software ASA ----
---- Office: +47 23693206 ---- Cellular: +47 93440112 ----