[css3-regions][css3-exclusions] Real-world use cases and prototype implementation and samples

From: Vincent Hardy <vhardy@adobe.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 07:58:41 -0700
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Hello,

In preparation of the SVG and CSS working group Face to Face meetings this
week in Hamburg, we have worked on real-world use cases for advanced
layouts and also worked on experimental implementations of several
features from the latest CSS regions and CSS exclusions and shapes drafts.

New use cases:

- http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css3-regions/regions-print-use-cases
- http://wiki.csswg.org/ideas/css3-exclusions-print-use-cases

this is in addition to the existing use cases we put together before:

- http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css3-regions/regions-use-cases
- http://wiki.csswg.org/ideas/css3-exclusions-use-cases

The prototype/experimental build is available at:

Pre-built binaries:
https://github.com/adobe/webkit/downloads

source access:
https://github.com/adobe/webkit/tree/may2012-f2f-prototype

CSS Regions:

The prototype lets you specify height: auto and width: auto on region
elements. It also has support for multi-column regions: for example, you
can use "columns: 2" to make a region layout the content inside it using
two column. There is also some support for region styling.

Examples:

- Basic Regions Styling (also works in WebKit nightlies):
https://github.com/adobe/web-platform/tree/master/samples/css-regions/regio
n-styling/basic.html

- Extended Regions Styling (requires experimental build):
https://github.com/adobe/web-platform/blob/master/samples/css-regions/regio
n-styling/paint-props-simple.html

- Auto height example and multi-col region (similar to the specification
intro example):
https://github.com/adobe/web-platform/blob/may2012-f2f-prototype/samples/cs
s-regions/spec-intro-example.html

- Edge case tests for regions auto-sizing:
https://hg.csswg.org/test/file/53cd35bcf91d/contributors/adobe/incoming/css
3-regions

CSS Exclusions and Shapes:

Proof of implementability for the CSS Exclusions processing model with
support for the wrap-flow: clear property value.

Pagination Template Proposal:

In addition, we have put together an experimental shim for the page
template proposal (http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-page-template/):

http://adobe.github.com/web-platform/utilities/css-pagination-template/

you can also get the source for at:
https://github.com/adobe/web-platform/tree/master/utilities/css-pagination-