Re: Proposition to change the prefixing policy

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 12:52:42 +0200
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Monday 2012-05-07 12:49 +0200, L. David Baron wrote:
> On Saturday 2012-05-05 15:02 -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > Properties can be shipped in unprefixed form once both of the following are true:
> > (A) The appropriate standards group (most likely the CSS WG for CSS properties) has agreed to take up the relevant specification as a work item; AND
> > (B) At least two independent roughly interoperable (though not necessarily identical in all edge cases) implementations are publicly available.
>
> I think this is largely reasonable, except I'd like an opportunity
> to reconsider taking things up as a work item, given its additional
> implications.

Also, I think it requires "taking up as a work item" to be a step
that actually involves a decision of the group.  In the CSS group
this frequently isn't the case:  editors add things to editors'
drafts of existing work items and then ask the group if it's ok at
the time of a request for TR publication (which might be
substantially later).

I think if we wanted to switch to this model, we'd need editors to
ask the group before adding new topics to their specifications.

-David