Re: Mandate longhand naming conventions and [css3-text] text-emphasis-position

From: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 22:24:14 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
On Fri, 04 May 2012 21:51:34 +0200, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
wrote:

> text-underline-position[1] too.
>
>> Example 21
>> Because ‘text-underline-position’ inherits,
>> and is not reset by the ‘text-decoration’ shorthand,
>
> For these two properties, I think the current design works better than
> either making it part of shorthand or changing the property names.
>
> While your general idea seems to make sense, I think authors would
> surprise if
>   :root { text-emphasis-position: below right; }
>   span.r { text-emphasis: red; }
> changes position, wouldn't they?

I agree that text-emphasis-position should not become a longhand of
text-emphasis.
But if we do decide that all foo-* must be longhands of foo (and this
question is up in the air these days), we should either rename
text-emphasis-position, or agree that it is an exception to the rule.

Maybe keeping it as it is is fine, but it should at least be considered
when we discuss the short-hand/long-hand rule.

  - Florian