Re: [css3-regions] @region and specificity

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 18:00:28 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 5:45 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> I think what I had in mind was to use pseudo-elements, like this:
>  .first::region h1 { color: purple; }

Side-track, but if we remove the "pseudo-elements must be at the end
of the selector" restriction, we've *really* got to change that

Because that's what the :: is - it's a combinator like >, just
selecting into the pseudo-tree hanging off the preceding element
rather than children/siblings.  The fact that it doesn't *look* like a
combinator is problematic.  It makes it harder to do pretty
formatting, you can't use other types of simple selectors in
conjunction with it, etc.