Re: [css3-regions] @region and specificity

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 17:45:58 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
On 01/26/2012 05:28 PM, Vincent Hardy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Christoph has proposed an alternate syntax:
>
>> h1:region(first) { color: purple; }
>> h1 { color: blue; }
>
> I tend to agree with Alex. I think regions decouple the content from their layout containers so that, typically, we will have
> a different chain of containers apply depending on the orientation, the device width/height or other factors like this.
>
> @fantasai: is what Christoph proposed what you had in mind?

I think what I had in mind was to use pseudo-elements, like this:

   .first::region h1 { color: purple; }

This way we only have one possible track through the tree; with
a functional notation you can easily branch

   section.foo h1:region(nav .first) em { color: purple; }

I can't quite figure out what this would mean, actually...
But if we use :region() notation it has to mean something!

~fantasai