Re: Allowing unknown pseudo classes and unknown pseudo element in the selector.

From: Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu <kennyluck@csail.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 08:20:26 +0800
To: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
CC: WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>
(12/03/09 3:22), Ojan Vafai wrote:
> How do you propose that authors include vendor-prefixed pseudos in their
> stylesheets? What are the benefits of the current error handling that
> outweigh the cost of needing to completely duplicate code for each vendor?

This seems to be the topic in a previous discussion[1]. Although the
request is somewhat different, the issue seems the same: backward
compatibility with sites that rely on browser-targeted CSS hacks like

bar, foo:not(foo)::-x-foo { /* targeting browser x */ }

I do think it might be useful to lift this restriction on pseudo
class/elements we invent in the future, although that seems very
inconsistent.

Cheers,
Kenny

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Nov/thread#msg203