Re: [CSS3-fonts] Proposal: Allow a font name as value for font-size-adjust

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 12:37:46 -0800
Cc: Markus Ernst <derernst@gmx.ch>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
On Mar 5, 2012, at 8:52 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 6:04 AM, Markus Ernst <derernst@gmx.ch> wrote:
>> The discussion on "font-size-adjust curiosity", and a discussion in the
>> css-d list made me have a look at the font-size-adjust property. I suggest
>> to add the possibility to add a font name as a value. The x-height of the
>> displayed font would then be adjusted to the x-height of the font specified
>> in font-size-adjust (which will usually be one of the fonts in font-family):
>>
>> body {
>>  font-family: Calibri, "Lucida Grande", Arial, sans-serif;
>>  font-size-adjust: Arial;
>> }
>>
>> Use case (resp. rationale): Web authors are usually not typographical
>> experts, most do not even know about a thing such as aspect ratio. In order
>> to specify the appropriate numeric value for font-size-adjust as specified
>> now, every author needs to look up the correct value for the font of first
>> choice. It would be very much easier for them to just specify, which font
>> out of the font-family list they consider most supported, and thus use as a
>> reference.
>>
>> Of course misunderstanding authors might write something like:
>>
>> font-family: "My fancy font", Arial, sans-serif;
>> font-size-adjust: "My fancy font";
>>
>> Unknown fonts in font-size-adjust will have the effect that the
>> font-size-adjust statement is ignored, which does not more harm than
>> omitting font-size-adjust at all.
>
> I like this proposal!

But font-size-adjust is for when the first font isn't available, the the size of the font that is available gets adjusted. If the font isn't available, and it is thus ignored, then when would there ever be a font that applies its x-height to another font? The first font available would always adjust to its own existing x-height.