Re: CSS3 Images issues needing WG review

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 07:48:27 -0800
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: √ėyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 1, 2012, at 10:42 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, the intent is that it's based on the box's geometry + border
>> image area (similar to how SVG's DBB is the geometry + stroke).
>> Children, even if they're transformed or positioned outside the box,
>> don't affect this calculation.
>
> If you are including the border image, why not also include the box-shadow? It is a decoration too.

As Fantasai said, the extent of the box-shadow is theoretically
infinite if you invoke blur; we'd have to do another one of those
messy definitions defining the size relative to some percentage of
shadow left behind, which I don't like.

Staying with just border-image also keeps us closer to the SVG definition.

~TJ