Re: [css4-selectors] Pseudo-class for writing mode

On 6/25/2012 5:45 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:02 AM, fantasai
> <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>> On 06/21/2012 11:08 PM, Sebastian Zartner wrote:
>>> As far as I saw there's currently no possibility to select according to a
>>> certain writing mode [1], only for the direction [2].
>>> Therefore I suggest to introduce a :writing-mode pseudo-class matching the
>>> values of the writing-mode property.
>> Selectors can't select based on the value of a CSS property,
>> so that won't work. (If you read the Selectors 4 spec carefully,
>> you'll note that :dir() operates *only* on the directionality
>> stated in the markup, if the markup supports such a notion.
>> It does not reflect the CSS 'direction'.)
> To be more specific, the problem that fantasai is alluding to is this:
>
> :writing-mode(horizontal-tb) {
>    writing-mode: vertical-lr; /* WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?!? */
> }
>
> Circular dependencies are bad times.

I'm pretty sure the main problem isn't the possibility of circular
dependencies, but rather the fact that it would make applying selectors
dependent on performing the CSS cascade on everybody higher up (or more,
in some other cases new to Selectors 4).

--
Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth