Re: [css4-background] background-position-x and background-position-y or logical directions

From: Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 10:56:43 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 23:41:33 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> If the plan is to solve this use case (spriting), we should do a better
>> job
>> than
>> using background-position hacks.
>
> I'm with fantasai.  The only use-case I've ever seen for
> background-position-x/y is image spriting, but bg-pos is really shitty
> for spriting.  The right way is to either use Media Fragments, or come
> up with something else in CSS that accomplishes the same thing.

I understand the sentiment, but not implementing background-position-x/y
is a difficult position to maintain when it is supported by browsers
with a combined market share of maybe more than 70% (ie + chrome + safari).
Content is being written for it, and lacking support causes issues.

If you're willing to drop support for it, the question will be much easier
to settle. Until then, the temptation to add support for it in Opera (and
maybe Mozilla, but I can't speak for them) will remain.

  - Florian