Re: [css-regions] Shadow DOM and Regions CSSOM

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 13:29:04 -0700
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>, Andrei Bucur <abucur@adobe.com>
On 6/20/12 7:20 AM, "Andrei Bucur" <abucur@adobe.com> wrote:

>Hello!
>
>Currently the CSS Regions spec doesn't mention what happens with regions
>that are part of a shadow tree. The NamedFlow interface exposes the
>getRegions API that "returns the sequence of regions in the region chain
>associated with the named flow". I suppose the CSSOM needs to be adapted
>to take into account the shadow boundaries.
>
>One way to do it is to add NamedFlow accessor APIs to the shadow root
>object, similar to what's available on the Document. The NamedFlow objects
>returned using the new API will provide access to the regions found in the
>shadow tree. The NamedFlow objects returned from the host document give
>access only to the regions above the shadow boundary.
>
>Thoughts?
>Andrei.

Andrei,

Since CSS Regions does not depend on Shadow DOM functionality, I'm not
sure it makes sense to define additions to the ShadowRoot interface in our
spec. Of course, the Shadow DOM spec does not depend on CSS Regions, so
I'm not sure it makes sense to add Regions-specific APIs in their spec,
either. But it should go somewhere, as I want to ensure that our OM is
compatible with theirs.

Dmitri - do you have an opinion on this?

Thanks,

Alan