Re: [css-variables] CSS Variables are a NEW kind of variable

From: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 20:28:09 +0200
To: "Brian Kardell" <bkardell@gmail.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: "Sylvain Galineau" <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "Chris Eppstein" <chris@eppsteins.net>, "Divya Manian" <manian@adobe.com>, <www-style@w3.org>
This is actually my point of view, too. I just fear this is yet another
subject of disagreement and I therefore tried to avoid the discussion.
However, this is orthogonal to the syntax we'll choose (as long as we keep
[css-variables] defined as normal properties) : more than one syntax would
match the name 'user-defined properties' (or 'authors properties' or
whatever you name them).

Most of the people facing 'CSS variables' read 'preprocessor variables' and
don't get (1) the syntax (2) the concept (3) why they are less powerful than
SASS/LESS variables [sic]. Since we don't want to replace (server-side)
variables by (client-side) ones, for a lot of good reasons, this make sense
to try to separate the concepts. Syntax is one way of doing it, naming is
another one.