Re: [css-variables] CSS Variables are a NEW kind of variable

From: Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu <kennyluck@csail.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 03:17:05 +0800
To: Fran├žois REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
CC: Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, Chris Eppstein <chris@eppsteins.net>, Divya Manian <manian@adobe.com>, www-style@w3.org
(12/06/15 2:28), Fran├žois REMY wrote:
> This is actually my point of view, too. I just fear this is yet another
> subject of disagreement and I therefore tried to avoid the discussion.

Debating about editorial matters is often quite frustrating indeed, but
if writing the spec in a particular way will increase consensus than I
would encourage the editor to consider listening to whoever finds the
current prose confusing.

On the other hand, I don't know if the WG or W3C allows this, but a way
to move this forward without disturbing the editor seems to be to ask
Brian and folks to fork the spec into a tutorial-like Web developer
version, where the terminology can be tweaked to make sure the least
people are "confused".

> However, this is orthogonal to the syntax we'll choose (as long as we
> keep [css-variables] defined as normal properties) : more than one
> syntax would match the name 'user-defined properties' (or 'authors
> properties' or whatever you name them).

Indeed, this is totally orthogonal. A problem I have with this thread is
that I can't tell if some feedback is normative or just
informative/editorial.

Cheers,
Kenny