Re: [css-variables] CSS Variables are a NEW kind of variable

On 6/13/12 4:44 PM, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

>On Wednesday 2012-06-13 16:17 -0700, Chris Eppstein wrote:
>> If it really is a property then make it a property with a -user- prefix
>>and
>> then make all properties accessible for read.
>
>That would make declarations of all CSS properties consume more
>memory and take more time to parse, since we'd have to store a token
>stream in addition to the other parsing that needs to happen.

Then I propose we actually make it a separate definition instead of
overloading a property definition. I have been down this path several
times in my career as a web developer to know that "same same, just one
small thing different" is a recipe for disaster in the future.

I assert CSS variables will have a greater role to play in the future
which will be overly constrained if we make it a slightly different
'property'.