Re: [css-variables] CSS Variables are a NEW kind of variable

From: Chris Eppstein <chris@eppsteins.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 16:50:19 -0700
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Property accessors is one of the most commonly requested features in Sass.
We can't add it because we can't know the cascade. Also, there are
complexities with reading individual properties vs compound properties. But
this would provide immense benefit to authors.

I can't speak to whether the internals can support this without introducing
unacceptable performance issues. But it seems to me that the internals of
CSS needn't treat known properties the way they treat variables. It seems
like they could be properly parsed a then converted back into a token
stream at first read access -- so a performance impact would only be levied
on authors who use them.

Chris