Re: [css3-flexbox] flex-grow initial value should be 0px

From: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 11:45:08 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
CC: www-style@w3.org
On 05/30/2012 10:57 PM, fantasai wrote:
>   Proposal B: ''flex: auto'' (adopted at Hamburg)
>      + Negative flex is on by default, preventing overflow in many cases
>      + Consistent with 'stretch' default in cross-dimension
>      - Harder to use alignment and margins, since have to turn off flex
> first
>      - More work for use cases that want most items inflexible

Here's one other downside of B (the currently specced behavior):
 - Anonymous flex items & placeholder flex items would have to *always*
be flexible.  (Authors can't style these items, so they must accept the
default values.)

This means that anonymous & placeholder flex items would *always* absorb
a share of the free space (maybe all of it), and they'll completely
neuter "justify-content" in flex containers where such items are present.

This is particularly bad for placeholder flex items, since IIUC the goal
was for those to have no spacing/sizing impact aside from possibly
introducing one more packing space.

So, I'm moderately in favor of Proposal C as well. ("flex: 0 1 auto")

~Daniel