Re: [css3-flexbox] absolutely positioned flex item should not have side effect on space distribution

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 4:16 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> It doesn't say it doesn't interact with layout, it says it has no effect
> *on* flex layout, i.e it's read-only with respect to the layout of other
> objects. If you want better wording, then we can change that, but I don't
> think the statement is untrue.

I don't understand. Do you mean that you run some parts of flex layout
(before/after the rest of layout?), but in a way that doesn't affect
the layout of anything else?

>> Instead, just make the box 0x0, and position it at the inner
>> cross-start edge of the flexbox and the outer main-end edge of the
>> preceding item (or the inner main-start edge of the flexbox, if it has
>> no preceding siblings).  This just relies on us running step 0 of the
>> layout algorithm (reordering) and then we completely ignore them for
>> the rest of the algo.
>

> I don't think that handles bidi/vertical text correctly, in particular
> because cross-start/main-start != start/head.

I have no idea what your suggestion actually does, so I can't tell
whether my suggestion gives something equivalent.  I believe mine
works as intelligently as possible given the constraints the WG
decided on.

>  It also means that the
> cross-axis position depends on the size of the next item, which I don't
> think is wanted or a good idea. Basically you're asking the placeholder
> to get special more treatment than it is already. Right now the only
> special treatment is that justification spaces are suppressed.

I'm not sure how you got this - the cross-axis position is the inner
cross-start edge of the *flex container*.  It pays no attention to the
surrounding items.