Re: [css-om][css3-conditional] spaces, newlines and rule serialization

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com> wrote:

> Hi Glenn,
>
> You wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> This is incorrect. Major agreement should be followed unless it's
> >> insane. We only get freedom to change things arbitrarily when all
> >> browsers have unique and different behavior, and even then we
> >> should favor choosing the behavior of one of the browsers if
> >> possible.
> >
> > That's one position.
>
> FWIW, it's a position commonly held by many in this working group.

I'm not disputing that. In any case, "fixing|documenting" a standard
serialization syntax for cssText et al is going to be like a walk in a mine
field. Also, on Tab's comment about ";" being like a declaration terminator
rather than a separator, I would just note that, according to the CSS2.1
syntax, it is equivalent to appending an empty declaration to a declaration
block.

I'm not particularly worried about this. My only goal is to reach a
consensus which permits the least ambiguous specification of serialization
behavior.