Re: [css-text] Styling of text decoration

From: Sebastian Zartner <sebastianzartner@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 11:44:22 +0200
To: Lutz Issler <lutz.issler@systemantics.net>, www-style@w3.org
> Reviewing the CSS Text Level 3 Working Draft 19 January 2012, I noticed
> that there is no way to style two properties of underlines, overlines
> and line-throughs: width and offset.
>
> For instance, creating a 2px underline on a text shifted 1px off it’s
> original position is not possible with text-decoration only. To avoid
> workarounds employing border-bottom-width and padding-bottom, it would
> be good to have text-decoration-width and text-decoration-offset
> properties, respectively.

"text-decoration-width" is a good idea in my eyes.
For defining the distance between the text and the line(s) there's currently the property "text-underline-position" [1]. Though because this value is restricted to underlining and doesn't allow a free offset, it might make sense to add a "text-decoration-offset" property to replace "text-underline-position".

Sebastian

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#text-underline-position0