[ui] time to re-introduce the 'user-select' property to the spec?

From: Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 15:47:35 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
Hi,

Most engines implement some variant of the old "User Interface for CSS3"
module's 'user-select' property.[1] (see MDN[2], the Safari Developer
Library[3], and this MSDN blog post[4] for specifics).

      +---------+-----+------+---------+------+------+-----------+
      | Engine  | all | auto | element | none | text | -moz-none |
      +---------+-----+------+---------+------+------+-----------+
      | Gecko   | ✓   | ?    | ✓       | ✓    | ✓    | ✓         |
      | Presto  | ?   | ?    | ?       | ?    | ?    | ?         |
      | Trident | ✗   | ✓    | ✓       | ✓    | ✓    | ✗         |
      | WebKit  | ✗   | ✓    | ✗       | ✓    | ✓    | ✗         |
      +---------+-----+------+---------+------+------+-----------+

I'd like it if we could at least get the currently-interoperable subset
("none" and "text", though it'd be nice to get "auto" as well) into
whatever level of CSS UI would be appropriate. We're also looking at
adding an additional value, "atomic", to WebKit's implementation. As
Alice said in [5],

> We intend to work on an experimental implementation of a new
> -webkit-user-select value that we are calling "atomic". This value
> causes the element to which it is applied to behave atomically for
> selection purposes; either all of none of the element and its contents
> are contained in the selection.
>
> [Gecko has] a value, "all", that superficially behaves like "atomic",
> but has some different behavior under incremental selection, which is
> why we're not using that value.

Thanks,
Ted

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-css3-userint-20000216#user-select