[css-compositing] How do 'alpha-compositing' and 'blend-mode' interact?

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 11:21:58 -0700
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>

How do 'alpha-compositing' and 'blend-mode' interact if you have set both? I was unable to determine this from the spec. Does it actually make sense to specify both to non-default values at the same time? I was unable to understand what their relationship is supposed to be.

Some other comments:

- The property values for the 'alpha-compositing' operator are inconsistent with the values for HTML5 Canvas: <http://www.w3.org/TR/2dcontext/#dom-context-2d-globalcompositeoperation>. I suggest making them match if there is no compelling advantage to the new names, otherwise this will be needlessly confusing to authors.

- Consider renaming 'alpha-compositing' to 'composite-operator' for similar reasons.

Regards,
Maciej