RE: [css3-fonts] default font features and 'none'

> fantasai [mailto:fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net] reported on Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:04 PM
> Subject: [CSSWG] Minutes and Resolutions Telecon 2012-07-18

> Default Font Features
> ---------------------
>
>    ChrisL: font designers have designed the font knowing that it works
> well
>            with certain settings
>    ChrisL: better to trust what the font designer thought.

A font designer cannot anticipate whether a particular ligature causes problems for a person with a particular disability.  End-users need a 'none' value to be available for their user style sheet in the event that the feature causes an accessibility problem, in this case for a low-vision person not using a screen reader.

>    jdaggett: we make the problem more difficult if authors are given
> ability
>              to make lots of feature switches

(snip)

>    szilles: important that default is default, but that there's a way of
>             getting rid of things.  'none' value?
>    <glenn> +1 for a 'none' value

Hope this helps,
Charles Belov