RE: [css3-box] padding: auto

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 14:10:19 +0000
To: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
CC: Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com>, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>

[Simon Sapin:]

> Yes, and don't forget the various layout modes. CSS 2.1 has not only
> inlines and blocks but also inline-blocks, floats, absopos, tables (fixed
> layout or auto layout). Then there is multicol, page-margin boxes,
> flexbox, other CSS 3 layout modules ...

Oh yes, min/max was just one arbitrary choice of 'things we'd probably need
to update'.

> I'm not saying 'padding: auto' is impossible

+1 . Enabling this one scenario with padding:auto may come with a fair amount
of other delicate baggage. Though some of it could be good if it enables other
use-cases.

> and I don't know why the ::outside pseudo-element was abandoned, but I think
>that the latter is much more realistic.
I don't know about ::outside; but discussing other ways to achieve the same
result would be helpful imo.