[css-text] Styling of text decoration

From: Lutz Issler <lutz.issler@systemantics.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 08:32:40 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
Reviewing the CSS Text Level 3 Working Draft 19 January 2012, I noticed
that there is no way to style two properties of underlines, overlines
and line-throughs: width and offset.

For instance, creating a 2px underline on a text shifted 1px off it’s
original position is not possible with text-decoration only. To avoid
workarounds employing border-bottom-width and padding-bottom, it would
be good to have text-decoration-width and text-decoration-offset
properties, respectively.

Apologies if there have been proposals for similar properties in the
past. If there haven’t been any proposals so far, I’d love to see this
discussed.

--
Lutz Issler

Systemantics GmbH, Willich, Germany, Amtsgericht Krefeld, HRB 13492
Director: Dr. Lutz Issler, VAT-ID: DE815126198

+49 2154 953793-1
www.systemantics.net / Twitter: @Systemantics_ / @lutzissler