Re: [css3-box] padding: auto

From: Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 18:42:44 -0700
Cc: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
I never argued itís trivial, I argued itís useful. Useful enough to be worth dealing with difficulties like the ones you point out.

Potential collisions with margin:auto are a non-issue, it just needs a defined priority between the two (Iíd suggest padding:auto, but it doesnít really matter).

Interaction with (min|max)-width is tougher, at least when box-sizing: border-box or padding-box is in effect. I can think of several reasonable things that could happen, but I'm not an implementor and it's one of those things where it's easy to suggest something with bad implementability.

Iím still waiting for someone to explain what padding:auto thatís already defined in css3-box is supposed to do. Bert Bos is the editor, I guess he knows?

Lea Verou (http://lea.verou.me | @LeaVerou)